Filipino BBQ Chicken Skewers
MAKES 12 SKEWERS
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup banana ketchup
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp finely minced garlic
- 1 tsp finely minced ginger
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 lbs. organic chicken thigh meat, cut into small cubes
- 12 bamboo skewers – pre-soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup finely sliced scallions
- 1/2 cup additional banana ketchup for dipping (recipe and instructions below)
- Combine first 9 ingredients to make a marinade.
- Marinade the chicken for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Thread chicken onto skewers and brush with oil.
- Cook over a grill, turning as needed and brushing with reserved marinade, until charred and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to serving platter and garnish with sliced scallions and additional banana ketchup sauce alongside.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped Vidalia onions
- 2 tsp finely minced garlic
- 1 jalapeño seeded and minced
- 2 tsp finely grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Cook onions in vegetable oil over medium heat until soft, about 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, jalapeño, ginger, turmeric and allspice
- Cook about 1 minute.
- Add the tomato paste, bananas, vinegar, honey, soy sauce and brown sugar.
- Continue cooking an additional 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Let cool and refrigerate
Now you can bring comfort and Hollywood glam to your table by trying this and other delicious recipes from Passion to Create: Your Invitation to Celebrate by Cheryl Cecchetto, President and Founder of Sequoia Productions.
In addition to producing 23 consecutive Emmy Awards Governors Ball events, Cecchetto has produced numerous entertainment industry events which featured these must-have recipes that we love!